OKD 1 was established by merging the former mines Darkov and Karviná as of 1 January 2015.
Its head office is located 25 kilometers north – east of Ostrava. The organizational structure of Mine 1 includes 3 mining sites: Lazy and ČSA (former Karviná Mine) and Darkov.
ČSA Site covers two mining licenses: Karviná Doly I and Doubrava u Orlové.
Lazy Site is located in the south-west part of the Karviná coal basin with a mining license covering cadastral territories of Orlová and Karviná.
Darkov Site has its own state-of-the-art preparation plant with a nominal input capacity of 800 tonnes per hour. The mine covers three separate mining licenses – Darkov, Karviná Doly II and Stonava.
Důlní závod 1
ul. Čs. armády č. p. 1
735 06 Karviná-Doly
Tel. (Switchboard): + 420 596 351 111
Tel. (Secretary): + 420 596 352 030
Fax: + 420 596 318 118
GPS coordinates (mine shafts)
ČSA - 49°50'34.316"N, 18°29'50.127"E (Head Office)
Lazy - 49°49'46.016"N 18°26'34.767"E
Darkov - 49°49'46.584"N, 18°31'34.435"E
The return-air shaft Doubrava III at ČSA Site is the deepest shaft with an absolute depth of 1,176 m. The pit bank is placed at the altitude of 281m above sea level and the shaft goes as deep as 895 m below sea level. The deepest of the Darkov Site’s shafts is the return-air shaft Mír 4 with an absolute depth of 1,011 meters; its bottom is located at 776 m below sea level and the pit bank is placed at the altitude of 235 meters above sea level.
Mining and extraction technology
ČSA: Roadheaders are used predominantly to develop in-seam entries. Cross-cuts and rock-cutting are developed with drill jumbos and loaders. The basic coal mining method is longwall caving. Longwall sections are equipped with shield sets and shearers.
Lazy: Depending on underground geological conditions, either roadheaders or drilling/blasting sets are deployed. Lazy Site is currently mining coal from saddle seams of the Karviná strata, i.e. from up to 6-m thick seams, and from Poruba seams of the Ostrava strata with seam thickness varying between 0.8 and 1.5 m. High seams (up to 6 m) were mined for the first time at Lazy Site in 1993 using an equipment set delivered by the French company CdF.
Longwall sections are equipped with shield sets and shearers in high seams and single props and plows in low seams.
Darkov: Roadheaders develop most of the in-seam driveage. Drill jumbos and loaders are used to develop cross-cuts and entries with significant share of rock cutting. Longwall caving is the main coal mining method. All longwall sections are equipped with shield sets and shearers. A central air-conditioning system with the total output of 1,350 kW was implemented at the site during the year 2006.
ČSA: Důl Československá Armáda (The Czech Army Mine) was established on 1 July 1995 by merging the two formerly separate mines ČSA and Doubrava. In fact, its history is much older and goes as far as the early beginnings of coal mining in the Karviná region. It was probably here where the first reports of hard coal discoveries at the Kamienčok site originated in the 18th century. In 1780, mining activities were launched by Count J. E. Larisch-Mönnich. In 1856, local mines were grouped into one business. That year is also considered to be the foundation date of the today’s ČSA Site.
The Larisch-Mönnich family owned these mines until they were expropriated in 1945. In 1951, a state-owned business “Velkodůl Čs. armády” was established here involving an extensive reconstruction.
There is an old history of coal mining at the area of former mine Doubrava as well. Baron Richard Mattencloit was searching for coal here as early as 1822. Shallow diggings gave rise to a mining company in 1836 owned jointly by Mattencloit and Larisch-Mönnich.
Lazy: The mine’s history dates back to 1835 when the Vienna Rental Company started sinking the Altmaschinenschaft. Another mine – Friedriech-Egon Shaft – was established nearby in 1848. Another important shaft was the Neuschacht, established in 1898. After nationalization, the mining business was restructured and mines were refurbished. In 1950, the mine’s name changed to Antonín Zápotocký; it was renamed Lazy in 1991.
The Lazy Group Mine was established on 1 July 1995 by merging the formerly separate mines of Lazy, Dukla and František. As mining activities ceased at František Mine, the entire site was transferred to Odra Mine in 1999.
Darkov: The history of the present Darkov Site dates back to the mid 19th century. At that time, several new mines were established and they were merged under Darkov Mine later on. These were in particular the following mines: Gabriela (established in 1852), Hohenegger (1880) and Austria (1898). These mines underwent numerous changes; their names changed several times.
In the 1950s, they were merged into the “Velkodůl 1. máj” that was renamed Darkov Mine on 2 May 1991. There were some organizational changes after the year 1990. At the beginning of 1993 the sites Darkov and Mír merged.
As coal reserves were depleted in the 9. květen Site coal field, Sites 2 and 3 were merged on 1 April 2012 into a single site – Darkov Site. It was then renamed Darkov Mine in autumn 2013.
As of 1 January 2015 Darkov Mine and Karviná Mine merged and Mine 1 with sites ČSA, Lazy, Darkov and 9. květen came into existence.