Press releases

Dukla’s concrete hoisting tower was knocked down by 60 kg of explosives

HAVÍŘOV (19th June 2008) – The almost a hundred-meter-high hoisting tower of the former Dukla Mine was knocked down today using approximately 60 kilograms of explosives placed in 615 specially drilled-in boreholes. It was the first demolition of this kind in the Czech Republic. “The preparation itself has taken two weeks of time; we have been finalizing blasting works in the last five days and have prepared safety measures,” said Jiří Eliáš, Blasting Works Technical Manager.

 

The reinforced concrete tower was 96 meters high and approximately 16,000 tons heavy. The shaft below the tower was 1,026 meters deep and it was used in particular for coal transportation, men transportation was rare here. The tower was put into operation in 1983 and helped to mine out 32 million tons of coal.

 

The skip tower was the last one out of three Dukla’s towers; the first two steel structures have already been demolished. Out of some 70 original buildings there are only 15 left now; five of them are yet to be demolished. Ten buildings will remain on the premises including the four protected monuments – an old mechanical shop dating back to 1907, a lamp shop, a shearer shop and a compressor plant. The premises will be transferred over to the assets of RPG Real Estate who wants to cooperate with Havířov Municipality on their further use.

 

Before Dukla mine was idled, it provided jobs to almost 1,600 employees. Most of them (more than a thousand) have now been working at other mines and operations of OKD. Some people (116) were retired; some left the company and got severance pay of up to twelve times their average monthly pay (based on the years worked at the company). Now the former mine operations are covered by 17 employees.

 

From history: Dukla Mine was established in 1905. Originally, it bore the Emperor’s name – Kaiser Franz Joseph Schacht. The name was in 1918 changed to Suchá Shaft and since 1949 it bears the name of Dukla Mine. The first 20,000 tons of coal were mined out of this mine in 1911 from development works, the first longwall production is dated to 1912 when 46,400 tons were mined. One year later, the annual production doubled. More than 100 million tons of coal were mined out over the 100 years of Dukla’s existence. OKD Board of Directors approved the idling of Dukla Mine in the first months of 2006 due to low efficiency of production.

OKD at present: OKD employees approximately 20,000 people, of which some 3,500 contractors providing coal mining services. Hard coal is mined at Karviná Mine at their sites Lazy and ČSA on the borders between Karviná and Orlová as well as at ČSM Mine and Darkov Mine in Karviná District and at Paskov Mine in Frýdek-Místek District. The average salary in OKD in 2007 equaled CZK 29,135. The company has prepared mine plans for all its mines for the period of at least 20 years; operations efficiency and safety will be enhanced by extraordinary investment into new equipment.

 

OKD is held by the Dutch company New World Resources B. V.

Attractions